Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Book Review: Spiritually Strong by Kristen Feola

I have been becoming more and more interested in the spiritual disciplines/spiritual practices as of late. I have been reading a lot about the various disciplines and trying out a few to see how they fit me. When I came across Spiritually Strong: The Ultimate 6-Week Guide to Building Your Body and Soul by Kristen Feola, I figured it was worth a try.

The book is separated into three main parts: The Core, The Exercises, and The Plan. The gist of the book is that your spiritual core is just as important to exercise as your physical core. In the first 2 parts, Feola describes both the physical and spiritual "muscles" as well as how to go about getting and keeping them fit.

The third part of the book is a 6-week plan implementing the information presented in the previous parts with the goal of transforming your body and soul for the better.

While Feola definitely has some solid information in here, I'm not entirely sure what I thought about the delivery. At times it came across a little heavy handed and left me feeling like there was no way I'd EVER be able to get my spiritual act together. The laundry list of things I do wrong, or don't do enough of, was a little overwhelming.

All in all, I'm glad I have this book, but not necessarily for its intended purpose. Rather than use it as a 6-week program, I intend to use it as a reference in my on-going study of the spiritual disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment