Monday, May 25, 2015

Book Review: Devotions from the Garden - Finding Peace and Rest from Your Hurried Life by Miriam Drennan

I love this little book. It is just so sweet. The reason I originally chose to read Devotions from the Gardedn: Finding Peace and Rest from Your Hurried Life by Miriam Drennan was my love of gardening. Honestly I'm not much for devotionals. I don't know why, they're just not my cup of tea. But I was drawn to this book for it's garden photography.

What I found - aside from the beautiful photographs - was a devotional that I actually love to read. The author uses 90 widely varied topics, familiar to people who garden, and then draws parallels to how life with God is similar to that particular topic.

Each devotion is about 5 to 6 paragraphs in length and is followed up with a lovely, grace-filled prayer. For instance, the one devo that strikes a chord with me currently is called "Root Systems," and begins with a description of the unseen job that various root types perform for plants. She talks about what roots need in order to keep plants healthy and thriving. Then she poses questions to the reader as a way to help gauge how well you are (or are not) tending your own spiritual root system.

I know I'm not doing any justice to just how much I love this book. It's a small book, and the pages are nice and heavy because of all the photos. But it's just so much more than that. Her analogy to Christians as honeybees is a great reminder on being willing to do what needs to be done, no matter how menial the task may seem.

This is clearly written by someone who knows the joy found in gardening and the joy found in following God and beautifully intertwines the two. This would be a beautiful addition to the library of any gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment