Thursday, July 14, 2016

Book Review: Sister Eve and the Blue Nun by Lynne Hinton

So this was not my usual kind of read. I'm not a huge consumer of Christian fiction. In general, I'm not a huge consumer of fiction as a genre. But a good mystery is always welcome. So when I saw that Sister Eve and the Blue Nun by Lynne Hinton was available I figured I'd give it a shot.

I really wanted to like this book. This premise looked interesting enough; A murder takes place and the victim's brother is the prime suspect. Sister Eve, the motorcycle-riding nun, decides to figure out who the actual murderer is in order to prove her friend's innocence.

It sets up to be a fun book, but I just couldn't relate to pretty much any of the characters. Maybe it's because I'm picking up the series at book 3, but I had a hard time finding myself caring about any of them; the victim, the suspect, and the would-be heroine, included.

The most frustrating thing about this book was the main character.  I understand it's a fictional character in a fictional world, but some of the choices she made just left me scratching my head, wondering how someone could choose so poorly.

The mystery gets solved in the end, but almost in spite of Sister Eve, not necessarily because of her.

I really did want to like this book, but I guess my past reading of authors like Agatha Christie have set the bar a little higher than this book could reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment