Friday, February 27, 2015

Book Review - Simply Open: A Guide to Experiencing God in the Everyday by Greg Paul

The list of books published each year telling us how to live-an-amazing-life-now in just ten easy steps grows each year. Some of these are well worth the read, but after a while you start to yearn for something…deeper.
Simply Open: A Guide to Experiencing God in the Everyday by Greg Paul is that something deeper.

Paul, author of such books as The Twenty-Piece Shuffle: Why the Poor and Rich Need Each Other and Close Enough to Hear God Breathe: The Great Story of Divine Intimacy, has taken a different path for his latest by plumbing the depth of the often overlooked Christian practice of contemplative prayer.  This simple practice of prayer and awareness can turn the ordinary into something extraordinary, a deeper spiritual journey in the midst of everyday life.


Paul uses something readily available to each of us as the gateway to spiritual awakening basing each of his first five chapters off a different sense.
Open My Eyes
Open My Ears
Open My Nostrils
Open My Mouth
Open My Hands

He then broadens his scope with the final two chapters, Open My Heart and Open My Mind, showing how to take the everyday awareness and make it something more.

If you have never experienced contemplative prayer this book is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment