Saturday, September 13, 2014

Book Review: "Tables in the Wilderness" by Preston Yancey


Note: This review is based on an Advanced Reading Copy from Zondervan Books.

Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost and Found Again by Preston Yancey was one of the coolest books I've read in a while. I was in the mood for fiction, but didn't find anything that looked appealing at the time. So I chose the non-fiction story of Preston Yancey's journey of coming to grips with his own faith and how that may or may not fit with the faith in which he was raised.
The book is a reflection of his journey that mostly took place during his college years at Baylor University in Texas.

At first I found myself wondering how deep a book this could be because of his young age, but I was wrong. The issues he struggles with – doubt, the ability to hear God, the sacraments, religious arrogance, etc. - are issues that are not age-specific, but more a function of a person who is very serious and thoughtful about his faith. It was an engaging read that I enjoyed far more than I thought I would.

There are several highlights of this book, one of which is Yancey's writing style. Tables in the Wilderness reads very much like you are being invited to hear the confession of a friend. It is written in a way that makes you feel for the author and want to know how everything turns out for him.

Another highlight is the “Suggested Reading” list he includes in the back of the book. I've already spent some time looking through to see what looks interesting to me and making a list of some I'd like to read. There is also a list of questions at the back of the book that would make this useful for a reading group.

One of the drawbacks, which may just be particular to me, was the little bit of difficulty I had in keeping track of all the other people in the book. For the most part he calls them only by their first names, and aside from the “main players,” I had a hard time remembering who was who. Truthfully, it was not that much of a hinderance, but I figured it would be worth mentioning.

While I started my book search looking for fiction, what I found was a non-fiction story with every bit the narrative satisfaction I was searching for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment