Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Review: "NIV Teen Study Bible" published by Zondervan

This is a great Bible for young people. My preference is for study Bibles, and this is a very user-friendly one. It is not set up like a typical study Bible, with a lot of notes and information along the bottom of the pages. This is definitely written to teenagers and is set up in a way that will appeal to them. (My almost teenaged daughter LOVES this Bible.)

What makes this NIV Teen Study Bible different from other Bibles I've seen and used (and own!) is the variety of features aimed at the next generation.

Some of the best features, according to my daughter, are "To the Point," "Instant Access," and "What do I Read Today?" In particular, the first two features make Scripture applicable to kids' lives today. They help them think through problems or situations they may be facing using God's word as a tool for making decisions.

The "What do I Read Today?" feature is a section at the back of the book that lists every chapter of the Bible with a little check box by its name, so that readers can check off each chapter as they read it.

As an adult, the feature I appreciate the most is probably "We Believe." On one of the first pages of this Bible is printed The Apostles' Creed. The next page lists the Creed line by line with the corresponding Scripture reference that supports it. Then throughout the rest of the Bible are pages that go into greater detail to explain what each line means. At the bottom of each of these pages is the location of the next "We Believe" page, allowing the reader to go from beginning to end of the Creed without having to go back to the beginning of the book each time.

This is a great resource, but I would say that this book is geared more toward younger teens than older ones. However, since my daughter is still on the younger side of things, I'm sure she will get a great deal of use out of this Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment