Saturday, April 5, 2014

Book Review - "Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out" by Mark Hall

It's been a while since my last book review, but the stuff I have to do can sometimes get in the way of the stuff I want to do.

I am a fan of the music group Casting Crowns. I knew their lead singer, Mark Hall, is a pastor, but until recently I had no idea he is also an author. It probably stands to reason, then, that I have not read his other books, but after reading Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out, I can honestly say I would be interested in reading his other books. Hall writes in an easy-to-read style that is also highly relatable. Even if for no other reason, his horror movie story makes this book worth the read. Luckily though, there is a lot more to be enjoyed and learned from Thrive.

The book is laid out in two separate sections. Part one, "Digging Deep," Hall speaks to the need to get out of "survival mode" and dig our roots down into Jesus in order to thrive as we are meant to. This is not a Prosperity Gospel teaching, but a way for people in the real world to thrive, wherever they are, in Jesus.

In part two, "Reaching Out," we see what it can look like, through examples, as well as imagining what could be, by reaching out to others from a place of deep faith.

All in all, I enjoyed this book quite a bit. My first reaction to it was that this would be a great book for someone who is new (or at least newer) to the faith, or someone who is not currently engaging their faith in a meaningful way. It's a quick read, but one I recommend.

(There is also a Thrive Challenge that goes with the book, but I did not investigate it.)