Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: "What's Your Mark?"

When I first read the description of "What's Your Mark?" by photographer Jeremy Cowart, I was instantly intrigued. It promised to be inspiration in the form of real people making their "mark" on the world as they follow Jesus. These stories would be interspersed within the pages of the gospel of Mark. One of the questions posed in the description was, "What will be your mark?"

Before I received the book, I kept thinking about what kind of mark I am currently making and upon whom said mark is being made. I was a little bit nervous that reading these stories would make me feel inadequate in my attempts to leave a mark as I follow Jesus. However, once I got into the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Aside from being the first time I actually read the gospel of Mark from start to finish, I honestly liked reading the stories of the people Cowart profiled. As I expected, it was easy to relate to some of the "mark makers," and more difficult to relate to others. What I didn't expect was to be blown away by several of the stories I read. Some of the selflessness displayed by the people being profiled was astounding to me.

I think one of my favorite things about this book was that, with a few exceptions, the people being profiled were just "everyday" people who used their passions, talents and love to make a difference in the lives of other people. My kids complain that there are never any good stories on the news... This little book is a collection of good stories that really deserve to be told.